Our mission for animals
Protecting nature and wildlife is really important to us, and encouraging our travellers to do the same is at the core of what we do. As a team of passionate wildlife-lovers, our Meaningful Travel Warriors understand the importance of animal welfare in the tourism industry and are committed to our journey to make the world a better place for animals.
We work with Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), closely following their guidelines for Global Welfare Guidance for Animals in Tourism. We were awarded our Travelife Better Places Partner accreditation in 2014 for our company efforts in sustainability and we are also a featured tour operator on Responsible Travel; an agency specialising in offering independent, authentic experiences that benefit both local people and places.
Joining forces with our partners
We’ve teamed up with World Animal Protection, an international non-profit animal welfare organisation that has been in operation for over 30 years. Their vision: A world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended.
We have developed our Animal Welfare Policy with the support of World Animal Protection and have committed to help see the end of elephant riding by signing their elephant-friendly pledge.
What makes a happy animal?
We think all animals deserve to live a happy life, recognised through ABTA’s 5 universally accepted principles:
- Freedom from hunger or thirst by access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to express (most) normal behaviours by providing sufficient space, facilities and company of the animal’s own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment that avoid mental suffering.
At Rickshaw, we want to help eradicate cruel practices that compromise animal welfare. We know this is an ongoing journey so in order to achieve this, we strive to:
- Review our animal experiences regularly
- Continue following and developing our Animal Welfare Policy
- Closely follow ABTA’s Global Welfare Guidance for Animals in Tourism and World Animal Protection’s guide to animal welfare
- Remove any trips and experiences that fail to meet our animal welfare criteria
- Continue to support animal projects across our destinations
- Promote ethical animal experiences and awareness amongst our staff, our partners and our travellers
Tackling animal welfare in the tourism industry is no small feat but we are committed to making a difference wherever we can and promise to follow the recommended industry guidelines. What’s more, we will continue to work closely with our in-destination partners, local projects and communities to continuously review the animal experiences we offer, ensuring animal welfare is at the forefront of decision-making.
We want to make the world a better place for animals. Read our top tips on what you can do to be more 'Animal Friendly' on your travels...
5 min readRead More - How to be an Animal Friendly Traveller