China Visa, Passport and Money Advice

There’s a lot to think about when planning a trip to China, so we’ve put together this helpful guide to help you keep on top of it all; from passport requirements to visa applications.

person holding british passports

Visa & Passports

To visit China, you’ll need a visa and as of 1 November 2018, all visa applicants aged between 14 and 70 inclusive will need to make their visa application in person at a Visa Application Centre. Also, as part of the application process, biometric data (scanned fingerprints) will now have to be provided.

Chinese visa details and requirements have been known to change with almost no notice given, so please refer to the Chinese Embassy in the UK for the most up to date details.

The Visa Machine

As an alternative, and in order to offer a useful service to our customers we have teamed up with The Visa Machine – a professional visa service who can guide you though the process and take care of lodging and collecting your passport with multiple embassies, taking the hassle out of the visa application process.  For more information please see our dedicated page.

Go to The Visa Machine
Hong Kong skyline

Hong Kong

With a UK passport, you do not require a visa to visit Hong Kong, unless you stay longer than 3 months. If you plan to leave Hong Kong to enter China, you’ll need a Chinese Visa in advance. If you leave China to enter Hong Kong, and plan to return to mainland China afterwards, you’ll need a double entry Chinese visa.

Local women

Visa Cost & Application

A single entry Chinese visa costs £151 for standard service and £178 for the express service. This is made up of a visa fee and a processing fee from the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre (CVASC). These prices are the same for multiple entry visas. We aren’t always notified of changes in the visa process or the costs involved, so please always double check with the CVASC or Chinese Embassy for the latest info.

Go to The Visa Machine
holding money on boat in china


Chinese money is referred to as renminbi, ‘peoples money,’ but is better known as the Yuan, or ‘kuai.’ We suggest using Bank of China ATMs which are found in cities and large towns. All you need is a debit or credit card with a Visa, Maestro or Cirrus logo, but be aware that cards are not accepted everywhere. You can visit ATM’s in every airport and city but we recommend carrying spare cash just in case.

In Hong Kong the currency is the Hong Kong Dollar, and is available from ATM’s throughout the city.

Customer with guide


Tipping is not customary in China, and almost no-one asks for or expects a tip. We would however recommend using your discretion towards any guides or drivers you may use as tipping is becoming more common place for good service.

Recently Viewed