There’ s been a bit of a buzz around Cuba lately, with whispers about how the country may change once the U.S embargo is lifted, more and more travellers are bumping the island to the top of their bucket lists in the hope of experiencing ‘authentic Cuba.’ Our Travel Specialists have journeyed all over the island and they reckon that one of the best ways to experience the real heart of Cuba is by staying in family-run casa particulares. Here are 15 reasons why…
Let us break it down for you…
1. It’s an authentic experience
You’ll be staying in a home of a Cuban, not a high-rise hotel, not someone’s summer home, their actual home. So expect an authentic glimpse into Cuban life during your stay!
2. You’ll get warm welcomes from the owners
Better than rocking up to a characterless hotel after a long flight, right?
3. …and great hospitality whilst you stay there
You’ll most probably eat dinner with the hosts and enjoy their company whilst doing so!
4. You’ll stay in central locations whilst also benefiting from the small-scale charm
5. It provides added income for locals as they are run in a similar way to a B&B
By staying here instead of in a hotel, you’ll put money directly into the pockets of the local people and catch a glimpse of how Cubans really live.
6. You’ll eat authentic homecooked food and experience the real taste of Cuba
Cuba isn’t known for its culinary delights, but the quality of the food in Casa Particulares is much better than in most hotels and restaurants. Your hosts will go to local markets to source the best ingredients for your yummy home cooked meals. Delish!
7. …with dietary requirements catered for
Casa Particulares are your best bet when thinking about catering for individual needs. You can discuss your dietary requirements with the owners and they can try to cater their yummy homecooked food for you. Top Tip! Think about taking some of your own snacks – be it gluten free, vegan etc – to Cuba with you as a back up option if you ever get stuck!
8. You can come and go as you please
You’ll get your own private room and a key so you can leave and return whenever you like
9. It’s a great option for solo travellers
You’ll stay with a warm and welcoming family who you can kick back and relax with!
10. It’s ideal if you’re on a budget
Ranging from Casa Tradicional to Casa Boutique, you can choose your own style of Casa accommodation based on your personal price preference
11. Your hosts can wash your clothes for a small fee
No sweaty clothes for you!
12. You can practise your Spanish
¡Hola! Buenos días
13. Learn from the locals about real life in Cuba
Ever wondered what it’s like to live there? Well now’s your chance to find out…
14. Get top local tips from the hosts
What’s the best beach to visit? Where’s the best bar for that much-awaited Mojito? Ask away!