From white powder beaches to the sultry samba beats echoing through Havana, old-fashioned romance flows through the veins of this atmospheric country. If you’re an adventurous couple looking for a destination that’s a little different, you should seriously consider having your honeymoon in Cuba! Step away from the usual sun sea and sand scenario, and mix things up a little to discover Cuban culture and history at every turn.
Cuba will soon be fully opening its border to US citizens which will certainly change the way tourism runs. Our advice? Book your trip soon to ensure you get a chance to see the authentic side of Cuba, without the crowds…
Oh Havana, the capital city that has uniquely managed to maintain its cultural traditions and colonial heritage. Stay in Havana Vieja (the old town) where you can explore everywhere by foot, and take photos at every turn! Don’t forget to take a pen so you can etch your newly married names to the graffitied walls of La Bodeguita.
- Visit El Floridita – one of Papa Hemingway’s favourite bars.
- Sip on classic Cuban cocktails as you watch the locals roll on by in their 1950’s Cadillac’s.
- Cubans love it when tourists at least try to speak Spanish, so start brushing up on the lingo now and make sure you pack a phrase book!
The tobacco hills of Viñales
Head out west to the stunning countryside of Viñales, where you will both ride horseback through the beautiful red earth of the tobacco fields and learn to roll your own Cuban cigars. Experience true peace and tranquillity and get a taste of the real Cuban lifestyle as you live like the locals do in one of our traditional Casas Particulares.
- Hire a bike and cycle around Viñales to see the fascinating limestone rock formations dotted about the town.
Make time to Tango in Trinidad
Dust off your shoes, you’re going dancing in Trinidad! This colonial treasure is easily one of Cuba’s most atmospheric towns. By the time you get here, you will already be accustomed to the laid back pace of life in Cuba so grab yourself a mojito and shuffle on down to the Plaza Cespedes where you can enjoy watching the locals try their luck playing cards, or getting into the groove to the salsa music that drifts out onto the streets from one of the many music halls.
- If you fancy a beach break whilst in Trinidad, no problem! Just jump in a taxi, and after a 15-20 minute journey you will arrive at the beautiful rustic Playa Ancon beach.
Tropical time out in Cayo Santa Maria
Even though you have adventurous souls, every honeymoon deserves a little luxury, and what better place to enjoy this than the beautiful beach resort of Cayo Santa Maria just 10km from the more rustic beaches of Cayo las Brujas. When you arrive, kick your flip flops off and run out onto the white Caribbean sand because you have arrived in paradise! All you will see for miles is wind-swept shores and swaying palms.
- You’ll be completely offline from the outside world (literally as the internet is pretty limited) so take the opportunity to relax, shake off the post-wedding blues and enjoy the crystal waters!
Not sure about Cuba? Take a look at our Adventure honeymoon, where to go when guide post for more inspiration!